From: [email protected] (Martin Ottmann)
Subject: Guardian Order 2034
Date: 28 Jan 2003 10:48:15 -0800
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
17 September 1976
DGs/AGs DGIs/AGIs Br I Dirs BI SEC OFF
THE CORRECT USE OF CODES
To ensure that coding is done correctly, with the correct subjects coded and overcoding avoided, the following steps are laid down:
Codes are used for the following general headings:
1. Incriminating, undercover or disinformation, covert operations and the like. Incriminating activities would include like lobbying where this is inhibited in non profit corporations, also money deals that might provoke government tax offices.
2. Things that we want unknown as connected to the C of S secret PR and BI front groups.
3. Legal, PR and BI traffic on BI flubs.
4. Things that we want unknown LRH or MSH connected to - this is handled by coding their names.
5. Words or actions that would tend to dispute the fact that the C of S's motives are humanitarian: i. e. harass, eradicate, attack, destroy, annihilate, cave in, third party, spreading rumors, entrapment, trap or entrap, stir up the opposition.
6. Actions of confidential corporate tax bodies, tax strategy, some BI money CSW's, and occasionally the names of accounts.
7. Anything that gives specific and actual evidence that Scientology is in legal control of B6 type groups. These are groups that are separate legal entities to the C of S.
8. Admission to unpunished crimes and/or incriminating data. This would mostly come on personnel lines.
In addition to the above there are certain things that get government Customs upset and more curious about what is in the mail pack. These are such things as "CONFIDENTIAL" "SECRET" "HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL" "TOP SECRET" "VERY HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL" "RESTRICTED" etc. written across the top of the particle.
To handle the use of confidential, secret, etc. type titles, the following will be substituted:
Confidential - Formal Highly Confidential - Very Formal Very Highly Confidential - Informal Secret - First Class Top Secret - Top Class Restricted - Limited
Another thing that excites government Customs is the names of intelligence type things such as CIA, IP, Police, Secret Service and names of government agencies within the country concerned. This is best handled by avoiding the use of such names at the top, or in titles of despatches or issues dealing with these, or in prominent places where the names stands out in the issue such as paragraph headings. When naming such issues in the body of a sensitive issue do not capitalize the issues or names as this makes them less eye catching i.e. CIA, ip, police, secret service.
When coded despatches and reports are sent between orgs all cc's are to be written on the despatch but only one copy is sent and this is to the person being written to. This person is then responsible for getting the despatch decoded, at the latest that same day, and distributing the decided version to all the persons named as cc's.
The Security Officer or Branch II Dir is to ensure that all GO staff are made familiar with the above points and that coding is being done correctly and comm lines are not being tied up with unnecessary coding.
The Security Officer or Br II Dir is to sort out what actions would fit in with categories one and seven. This is to be done in association with Legal. This Guardian Order is not to be distributed to staff when making them familiar with what should and should not be coded.
Dick Story Security Officer
for Hermann Brendel Int'l Dir Sec WW
for Mo Budlong DGI WW
for Jane Kember The Guardian WW