From: [email protected] (Martin Ottmann)
Subject: "Now we investigate the person like mad" - MSH on Intelligence in 1968
Date: 11 Jan 2003 14:16:49 -0800
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
Intelligence chief WW May 26, 1968
Orig-MSH Xerox for: - Int Off Hat " Chief Hat " CIC Hat
D/Guardian WW The Guardian WW
Dear Joan -
In looking over the recent intelligence reports sent to me, I suddenly realized that Intelligence still is operating without true direction.
Here is the way, Intelligence is now.
1. We become aware or a possible source or antagonism.
2. We clip, gather and cross-index file all the data we get on this source or antagonism, being careful to open and establish a file for every individual connected and every organization connected.
3. Then we look over the files and select the biggest one
4. Then we take a look at who we have or what organization we have. If we have an organization we look for who -
5. Now we investigate the person like mad
We did this with the people who were giving us trouble - we found The National Mental Health Association and a lead line off into banking and into the airforce - we haven't looked at who in banking or at who in the airforce - we may find futher [sic] cross-connections and come up with ONE PERSON.
This is what should be happening -
Further, vital reports are not coming through - I know more about what is happening than is reported to me from the Guardian's. Office