Once again, Direct Buy has elected to disappoint members who paid a hefty price for memberships in their “buying clubs” I am just one of many to report on their decieving practices, but here goes. As a residnet of Dayton, Ohio, I joined Direct Buy several years ago. While we have experienced savings along the way, 1st….our Dayton club was closed and now the Cincinnati club is closing. Translated, if one lives in Ohio, they no longer have a Direct Buy club to visit. Accordin to their corpoate communication, all transactions will now be conducted on-line, as 60% of the members ordered solely on-line. Let’s see…..what about the other 40%….or those who prefer to see a sample of cabintes, or hardware or materials prior to ordering? Unfortunately for those of us who have invested in Direct Buy, the writing is on the wall…..they not long for this world. Don’t believe me….look at Forbes for the 4th worst franchise to invest in. .
This complaint and/or review was posted on HolySmoke.org on 13:47 pm, June 25, 2018 (CST) and is a permanent record located at: https://www.holysmoke.org/scam/direct-buy-review/.
The reviews & complaints posted about Direct Buy was submitted by a member or guest on this website. Any and all opinions and information are published as is. HolySmoke.org does not edit or remove any aspect of the report and is simply a consumer grievance free-speech platform. As such, HolySmoke.org cannot be held liable for the complaints and reviews posted about Direct Buy as per Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act.
Business Advocacy Program
Advocacy program is a relationship between you and your most engaged consumers – the ones that choose to go a level higher to hold you accountable.